Personal Health Issue 101 Health Care Decisions: Chapters 12, 19, 20
A = True and B = False
1._____Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein Barr virus.
2._____Antibiotics are used to kill viruses that invade the body.
3._____Communicable diseases can be passed from person to person.
4_____Tonsils, adenoids, spleen, and thymus gland are organs of the Lymphatic System.
5._____Medicaid provides health insurance for the elderly.
6._____Ayurveda medicine embraces a naturopathy approach to health.
7._____Chiropractic literally means to practice medicine by using hands.
8._____Chiroprators treat people with subluxation to realign the vertebrae.
9._____Herbal medicines possess the same potential for healing and the same potential for side effects as prescription drugs do.
10.____A Vector carrying an infectious organism is very sick and will die if left untreated.
11. Hepatitis A is:
A. commonly found in health-care workers
B. commonly acquired from fecal contamination of food or water
C. primarily acquired from blood transfusions and intravenous drug users
D. both A and B
12. A disease caused by the bite of a tick is:
A. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome B. Scabies
C. Lyme disease D. West Nile Virus
13. People who are infected with HIV:
A. Can take 3 classes of drugs to delay developing AIDS
B. Can transmit HIV through their salvia and sweat
C. Can develop diseases because of a weakened immune system
D. both a and c
14. Lyme disease is best treated with:
A. vaccines B. anti-viral serum C. antibiotics D. Deet
15. People with type O blood are known as:
A. universal recipients B. universal donors
C. unable to donate blood D. always Rh-positive
16. The body’s normal reaction to tissue injury or infection is:
A. disease B. release of histamine C. inflammation D. bacteria
17. Antigens are foreign proteins on viruses and bacteria that:
A. generate antibodies B. elevate lymph nodes
C. increase red blood cells D. decrease white blood cells
18. Autoimmune diseases are the result of:
A. absence of antibodies
B. immune system cannot distinguish self and non-self cells
C. antibodies attacking the body’s good cells
D. decrease white blood cells
19. Which of the following is caused by a vector?
A. HIV B. West Nile Virus C. Mono D Influenza
20. Microorganisms that can cause illness include:
A. protozoa B. yeast C. worms D. all of the above
21. Hepatitis B and C viruses are:
A. easily cured with antibiotics B. acquired through sexual intercourse
C. a risk durings blood transfusions D. one of the causes of AIDS
22. Vaccines work by injecting specific proteins from inactive pathogens to cause:
A. production of antibodies against diseases B. fevers
C. soreness after the injection D. mild cases of the flu
23. Severe allergic reactions can produce:
A. hives B. food aversions C. anaphylactic shock D. sneezing
24. Which is NOT a type of health insurance plan?
A. Preferred Provider Organization B. Health Maintenance Organization
C. Fee-for-service D. Medical-aide
25. Most people who go to a physician:
A. have symptoms of a cold or flu B. minor complaints or routine check-up
C. are there for prescriptions D. are seriously ill
26. Hospital patients:
A. are almost always treated with respect and dignity
B. have a right to be told about procedures and the reasons for them even if the doctor does not want the patient to know.
C. share no responsibility in deciding themselves what procedures will be used
D. should be read the patient bill of rights by the admitting clerk
27. Which specialist would you see if you were having dizzy spells?
A. Pediatrician B. Psychiatrist C. Neurologist D. Radiologist
28. Which specialist would you see if you were seeking a physician for your elderly grandparent?
A. Urologist B. Geriatrician C. Orthopedist D. Psychiatrist
29. Which of the following is NOT an Ayurveda element?
A. Earth B. Wind C. Fire D. Air
30. Pre-paid health insurance plans that are an alternative to private insurance are:
A. PPO’S B. fee-for-service C. socialized medicine D. HMO’s
31. Health insurance paid by the government for those over 65 is:
A. Medicaid B. Medicare C. Social Security D. Private
32. All of the following are reasons for rising medical care costs EXCEPT:
A. Health insurance costs B. lifestyle behaviors
C. too many general doctors D. malpractice
33. Which of the following is NOT used by a chiropractor in diagnosing and treating patients?
A. X-rays B. studying posture C. prescriptions D. Touching the spine
34. Chiropractic medicine:
A. stresses inherent energy balances in the body
B. deals with the relationship between the nervous system and the spinal column
C. is concerned primarily with medical procedures and prescription drugs
D. is considered quackery in this country.
35. Osteopathic doctors:
A. are pharmacologists who dispense drugs and herbs to heal illnesses
B. undergo a six year training program to get their license
C. have all the medical rights and privileges of medical doctors
D. are not allowed to perform surgery
36. Results from disruption of the harmonious balance of vital energy in the body:
A. Aromatherapy B. Medical Quackery
C. Acupuncture D. Bio-magnetic therapy
37. Homeopathic medicine:
A. substances that produce symptoms of a disease will cure the disease
B. deals with the relationship between the nervous system and the spinal column
C. is the conventional traditional approach to medicine
D. will utilize surgery but not drugs.
38. Flu vaccines:
A. only given to children and the elderly B. developed for specific viruses
C. should not be given to asthmatics D. must be repeated every two years
39. Partial displacement of a vertebra from its correct position is known as:
A. alignment B. fixation C. subluxation D. manipulation
40. Channels where energy flows within the body are:
A. pressure points B. nerves C fixations D. meridians
41. Cutting health care costs involves:
A. Exercise self-care and self-responsibility
B. Reduce unnecessary medical costs.
C. Use emergency services wisely
D. All of the above
42. In controlled studies, acupuncture has been shown to be effective for:
A. easing labor B. postoperative dental pain
C. curing the common cold D. curing early stage cancer
43. Comprises a potpourri of healing strategies and focuses on preventing illnesses:
A. naturopathy B. homeopathy C. osteopathy D. integrative medicine
44. Alternative medicine is also known as:
A. complementary medicine B. Western medicine
C. over the counter medicine D. none of the above
45. Act as physical barrier to prevent entry of most microorganisms:
A. good hand washing B. antibiotics
C. leukocytes D. skin and mucous membranes
46. Alternative medicine is usually defined as:
A. physicians who use unconventional therapies
B. the use of drugs along with surgery
C. the use of medication or relaxation during treatment
D. the use of herbal medicines, spiritual, mental, nutritional and physical therapies
A. are basically the same as physical therapists and performs the same treatments
B. prescribe vitamins, supplements and some narcotic pain medication
C. does not have to take an exam to become licensed
D. believe that all diseases are caused by misaligned vertebrae
A. block biochemical reactions of microorganisms so that they do not grow
B. cannot stop bacteria from getting into cells but can kill them when they are there
C. still work even if new acquired genes cause resistance
D. are good to take if in close contact with someone that has a bacterial infection
49. To help protect ourselves from infection we should:
A. eat well and takes vitamins supplements
B. thoroughly clean the wax inside of your ears to avoid ear infections
C. always rinse your hands after going to the bathroom
D. rest, exercise, good diet
50. Mechanisms that keep particles from entering the body are:
A. tears in your eyes B. wax in your ears
C. Spitting and sneezing D. all of the above
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more