1. The units of inheritance are
D) metabolic activities.
2. Which of the following includes other levels of hierarchy?
3. The first step in the scientific method is to
A) propose a solution.
B) draw a conclusion.
C) perform an experiment.
D) predict the results of an experiment.
E) identify a problem.
4. Which of the following concepts best describes the wide variety of dog species we observe, ranging from the domesticated golden retriever or the basset hound, to the wild dogs of Africa, to foxes?
A) special creation
D) inheritance of acquired characteristics.
5. The simplest entity that exhibits all of the properties of life is called a(n)
6. Organisms that have descended from the same initial group and have the ability to interbreed belong to the same
7. Which list is organized from smallest to largest level of organization of life?
A) organelles, tissues, cells, organ systems, organs, organisms
B) tissues, cells, organelles, organs, organ systems, organisms
C) organelles, cells, tissues, organs, organ systems, organisms
D) cells, tissues, organ systems, organelles, organs, organisms
E) organisms, organ systems, organs, tissues, cells, organelles
8. Young multicelled organisms usually start out small, then grow in size, and increase in complexity. This process is called:
9. To maintain order within their cells and organs, all living things must
A) be able to move.
B) constantly change.
D) extract energy from sunlight.
E) carry on metabolism.
10. Characteristics usually associated with life include all of the following except:
A) a high degree of organization.
C) lack of change from generation to generation.
D) responsiveness to stimuli.
11. If an ecologist is studying the cycling of carbon through a particular environment (which involves the movement of carbon through living things as well as through rock, air, and water), the scientist is studying at what level of ecology?
12. Scientists have found that ancient fossils
A) are less similar to present-day organisms than more recent fossils.
B) are more similar to present-day organisms than more recent fossils.
C) are very similar to present-day organisms.
D) are just as similar to present-day organisms as more recent fossils.
E) bear no resemblance to present-day organisms.
13. What is the term that describes the study of the relationship between living things and components of their environment?
14. Which of the following is considered to be the most basic living unit?
C) organ system
15. In populations, adaptation usually arises through
C) natural selection.
16. The scientific name for the black-footed ferret is Mustela nigripes. The name Mustela indicates the _____________________ to which the organisms belongs.
17. All the living organisms in a particular area at a particular time make up a
18. Organisms that undergo sexual reproduction
A) require another organism to reproduce.
B) do not require energy to reproduce.
C) produce offspring that are different from each other.
D) produce offspring that are identical to each other and to the parent.
E) are usually very complex.
19. Fungi are classified into which domain?
20. When examining the hierarchy of life, which of the following terms is most inclusive?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more