200 Best expository essay topics for 2023
Expository essays are a popular type of academic writing that requires a student to explain, describe or inform readers about a particular subject or topic. In this type of writing, the writer is expected to present a balanced and objective view of a topic by providing factual information and evidence without their personal opinions or emotions.
As we move into 2023, you need a diverse range of topics to choose from when writing an expository essay. This blog post will provide the 200 best expository essay topics for 2023 across various categories. Whether you are a college, high school, or university student, you will find something here that suits your level and field of study.
What is an expository essay?
An expository essay is a form of academic writing that aims to explain, inform, or describe a topic or issue clearly and logically. Unlike argumentative or persuasive essays, expository essay topics do not take a stance or try to convince the reader of a certain point of view. Rather, they present facts, evidence, examples, and analysis to help the reader understand the topic better.
Expository essays can be written on various subjects, such as social issues, health, education, literature, science and technology, history, ethics, poetry, personal experience, religion and philosophy, culture, and psychology. The main goal of an expository essay is to educate the reader and enhance their knowledge on a specific topic.
Key features of expository writing topics
Choosing a unique and engaging topic for your expository essay is a great way to impress your readers and professor. Here are the key features you should consider when selecting topics for expository writing:
The topic should be relevant to your course, assignment, and audience. It should also be interesting and engaging for you and the reader.
The topic should be clear and specific. It shouldn’t be too broad or narrow. A broad topic may be difficult to cover in-depth, while a narrow topic may need more information or scope.
A good expository essay topic should be researchable, informative, and factual, based on reliable sources and evidence. You should find enough credible sources to support your claims and arguments.
The best expository essay topic should be original, unique, and creative, not too common or clichéd. It sets you apart from other writers, allows you to explore a subject from a fresh perspective, and demonstrates your willingness to take risks and think creatively.
Expository essay writing prompts: 200 great ideas
Finding suitable topics for expository essays can be challenging, with many subjects and areas to cover. The good news is that this section provides a list of 200 expository essay writing prompts to help you get started. These prompts are divided into 12 categories based on different subjects and themes. You can choose any of them or use them as inspiration to develop your ideas. Here they are:
Social issues are problems that affect society as a whole or a group of people within it. They can be related to politics, economics, culture, human rights, or the environment. Some examples of social issues are poverty, racism, gender inequality, immigration, homelessness, etc. Here are some topics for expository writing on social issues:
- How does poverty affect children’s development, health, and education?
- What are the causes and effects of racism in society?
- How can gender inequality be reduced in the workplace and at home?
- What are the benefits and challenges of immigration for both immigrants and host countries?
- What are the leading causes and solutions of homelessness in your city?
- How does social media influence people’s opinions and behaviors?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of globalization for different countries and cultures?
- How to prevent cyberbullying and protect online privacy
- Ethical implications of euthanasia and assisted suicide on the society
- How can we promote human rights and democracy around the world?
- What are the causes and effects of homelessness in your city?
- How does social media influence body image and self-esteem among teenagers?
- What are the benefits and challenges of multiculturalism in your country?
- How does gender discrimination affect women’s education and career opportunities?
- Factors that contribute to domestic violence and how to prevent it
- Impacts of immigration on the economy and culture of your country
- Effects of climate change and environmental degradation on our daily lives
- Disadvantages of social isolation on mental health
Health refers to a state of physical, mental, and social well-being that affects every aspect of our lives. It’s influenced by various factors such as genetics and lifestyle. Here are some excellent topics for expository writing on health:
- What are the benefits and risks of veganism for health and the environment?
- How does stress affect the immune system and overall health?
- Causes, effects, and solutions to obesity in your country
- How does smoking affect the respiratory system and increase the risk of lung cancer?
- What are the symptoms and treatments of depression?
- How does exercise improve physical and mental health?
- What are the benefits and risks of veganism for health and the environment?
- Impacts of stress and anxiety on the immune system and overall health
- Dangers and consequences of drug abuse and addiction?
- Effects of alcohol and substance abuse on the human brain and behavior
- Best practices for preventing and managing diabetes
- Does nutrition affect growth and development among children?
- How does sleep affect memory and learning?
- Benefits and challenges of telemedicine and online health services
- Advantages and disadvantages of vaccination on children’s health
- Benefits and risks of consuming genetically modified foods
- Impact of the aging population on healthcare
- Roles of exercise in maintaining good health
Education is a broad and diverse field encompassing many human development and learning aspects. Here are some good expository essay topics related to education you can use for inspiration:
- Traditional classroom learning vs online learning: How do they compare?
- Benefits and challenges of homeschooling
- How can teachers use technology to enhance student engagement and learning outcomes?
- Best practices for teaching students with special needs
- How does the education system vary across different countries and cultures?
- Major causes and effects of cheating and plagiarism on a student’s academic performance
- How can students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills?
- Advantages and disadvantages of standardized testing in schools
- How does education affect social mobility and economic development?
- Effective strategies for improving student motivation and performance in modern schools
- Tips for coping with stress and anxiety related to academic pressure
- Ethical issues and dilemmas in education
- How can students balance their academic, personal, and professional goals?
- Top emerging or current trends and innovations in education
- Role of education in promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity
- Impact of teacher diversity on student outcomes
- Effects of student debt on career choices
Literature is a rich and fascinating subject that explores various forms of creative expression and communication. This makes them a great area to create great topics for your expository essay. Here are some topics for expository writing about literature:
- The impact of literature on society
- How do different literary genres and styles reflect different historical and cultural contexts?
- What are some common themes and motifs in literature, and how do they convey meaning and message?
- How do literary devices such as symbolism, metaphor, irony, and imagery enhance the aesthetic and rhetorical effect of literature?
- How do authors use characterization, plot, setting, and point of view to create engaging and realistic stories?
- How do literary critics and theorists interpret literature from different perspectives and frameworks?
- Examples of literary adaptations and transformations across different media and formats
- Does literature influence and shape our identity, values, and worldview?
- How does literature challenge and critique social norms, issues, and problems?
- Ways literature inspires and fosters creativity, imagination, and innovation
- How does literature educate and entertain us at the same time?
- How does literature connect us with other people, cultures, and experiences?
- Tips on how to develop good reading comprehension and appreciation skills
- What are some current trends and developments in literature?
- Role of mythology in literature
- Effects of storytelling on memory
- The influence of historical events and political contexts on literature
- How authors use language and style to create unique and distinct voices in their writing
Science and technology
Science and technology are dynamic and evolving fields that explore the natural world and human-made inventions. Here are some good expository essay topics related to science and technology:
- What is the impact of AI on employment?
- Effects of technology on privacy
- Impacts of modern science and technology on creativity, imagination, and innovation
- How do scientific methods and principles guide our understanding and investigation of the natural world?
- Major scientific discoveries and breakthroughs have changed human lives and society?
- How do scientific theories and models explain and predict natural phenomena and events?
- How does technology design and develop solutions to human needs and problems?
- Benefits and risks of using technology in health, education, communication, entertainment, and environment
- How science and technology interact and influence each other
- How do science and technology affect your ethical values, decisions, and actions?
- How do science and technology challenge and critique social norms, issues, and problems?
- How do science and technology connect us with other people, cultures, and experiences?
- How can we develop our scientific literacy and technological competence skills?
- What are some current trends and developments in science and technology?
- Benefits and risks of space exploration
- Effects of technology on privacy
- Ethical considerations of using gene editing technology on humans
- Impact of technology on mental health and well-being
History involves the study of the past and how it shapes the present and the future. It’s a diverse field that covers many topics and perspectives and can help you understand the world better. Expository essays can help us explore historical topics in depth and share our knowledge and insights with others. Here are some expository essay ideas for history topics:
- How did the Industrial Revolution change the world?
- How does history shape our values, beliefs, and attitudes?
- How did ancient civilizations develop writing systems?
- The main achievements and challenges of the Roman Empire
- How did the Enlightenment influence the French Revolution?
- How colonialism and imperialism affected different regions of the world
- What are the similarities and differences between two historical figures (e.g., Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X, etc.)?
- Causes and effects of a major historical event (e.g., World War I, the French Revolution, the American Civil War, etc.)
- How did the World Wars impact global politics and culture?
- How the invention of the internet transformed communication and information
- The impacts of the rise and fall of communism on different countries worldwide
- Main characteristics and achievements of a historical era (e.g., the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution, etc.)
- Challenges and opportunities of studying history from different perspectives (e.g., social, political, economic, cultural, etc.)
- How history influences the development of art, literature, science, technology, religion, etc.
- How history helps us understand ourselves and our society better
- Role of Women in the civil rights movement.
- Impact of the Cold War on international relations.
- Effects of the American Revolution on Democracy
Ethics is an important topic that can help us develop our moral values and judgments. Writing expository essays on ethics help you examine ethical issues from different perspectives. This allows you to communicate your opinions and arguments with others. Here are some good expository essay topics for ethics:
- What are the main ethical theories, and how do they differ in their assumptions, arguments, and implications (e.g., utilitarianism, deontology, virtue ethics, etc.)?
- How can ethical dilemmas be resolved using ethical reasoning and principles (e.g., euthanasia, abortion, animal rights, etc.)?
- The relationship between ethics, law, justice, and human rights
- Application of Ethics to different professions and fields of study
- How ethics influence decision-making and problem-solving
- Ways ethics vary across cultures and contexts
- How do ethics change over time, and what factors affect them?
- Ethical issues and challenges in a specific field or profession (e.g., medicine, law, business, journalism, etc.)
- What ethical values and virtues are esential for personal and social well-being (e.g., honesty, integrity, respect, compassion, etc.)?
- How do ethics relate to other disciplines and domains of knowledge (e.g., psychology, sociology, religion, science, etc.)?
- How ethics influence our decision-making and behavior
- Does ethics evolve over time and across cultures? What are the effects?
- How do ethics affect environmental issues and sustainability?
- Impacts of ethics on politics and governance
- role of ethics in scientific research
- Effects of cultural relativism on moral values
- How do different religions and belief systems shape ethical beliefs and practices?
- Ethical considerations surrounding emerging technologies such as gene editing and artificial intelligence.
Poetry is a type of literature that uses language creatively to express thoughts, feelings, images, and sounds. Poetry can be written in different forms, styles, genres, and techniques. Poetry can also be influenced by different cultures, traditions, movements, and contexts, making it a great area to base your essay on. Here are some topics for expository writing on poetry:
- Main elements of poetry and how they work together
- Types of poetry and how they differ in structure, rhyme, rhythm, meter, etc.
- Common poetic devices and how they enhance the meaning and effect of poetry
- Famous poets and their contributions to poetry
- How does poetry reflect the culture, history, identity, and values of the poet and the audience?
- Ways in which poetry communicates emotions, moods, tones, and attitudes
- How does poetry use imagery, metaphor, symbolism, and other figurative language to create vivid pictures in the reader’s mind?
- Evolution of poetry throughout history and its relevance today
- Poetry as a tool for social and political activism
- Impact of culture and language on poetry
- How poetry can be used as a therapeutic tool for emotional and mental healing
- The connection or relationship between music and poetry
- How do poets use form and structure to convey meaning and enhance the reading experience?
- Roles of poetry in education and its benefits for students
- Influences of other art forms, such as painting and sculpture on poetry
- Impacts of spoken word poetry on contemporary culture
Personal experience is a source of knowledge that comes from one’s observation, participation, and reflection. Personal experience can be used to illustrate, support, or challenge a point or argument. Personal experience can also be used to explore one’s feelings, thoughts, and opinions. Here are excellent topics for expository writing based on personal experience:
141 What is a significant event or experience that changed your life or perspective (e.g., traveling to another country, overcoming a fear, meeting someone important)?
- How do you cope with stress, anxiety, or depression (e.g., meditation, exercise, therapy, hobbies)?
- What skill or hobby are you passionate about, and how did you learn it (e.g., playing an instrument, cooking, gardening)?
- What is your goal or dream, and what steps are you taking to achieve it (e.g., career aspiration, personal project, social cause)?
- How do you balance professional and personal life (e.g., time management, prioritization, delegation)?
- How do you handle criticism or feedback (e.g., accepting, rejecting, improving)?
- How do you handle conflict or disagreement with others (e.g., negotiation, compromise, avoidance)?
- Role of family and community in shaping one’s identity and sense of belonging
- The impact of technology on personal relationships and communication
- How do you celebrate your culture or identity (e.g., language, traditions, values)?
- How do you adapt to change or uncertainty (e.g., moving to a new place, starting a new job, facing a crisis)?
- What lessons have you learned from failure, and how have they influenced your approach to success?
- The impact of personal experiences with discrimination and prejudice on attitudes and actions towards marginalized groups
- How do personal experiences with mental health challenges shape one’s understanding and approach to mental health?
- How do you make decisions or choices (e.g., intuition, logic, advice)?
Religion and Philosophy
Religion and philosophy are two study areas concerned with life’s big questions, such as the meaning of existence, morality, and the nature of reality. They offer different perspectives and approaches to these questions, making them great topics for expository writing. Here are expository essay ideas relating to religion and philosophy:
- What is the role of religion in society, and how has it changed over time?
- How do different religions and philosophies approach the concept of God or the divine?
- How religion and philosophy address the problem of evil and suffering in the world
- Relationship between religion and science and how they influence each other
- Impact of religion and philosophy on ethics and morality
- How do religious and philosophical beliefs influence political ideologies and policies?
- Significance of rituals, symbols, and practices in religion and philosophy
- How religious and philosophical beliefs shape one’s understanding of death and the afterlife
- How do religious and philosophical beliefs influence personal identity and self-understanding?
- Contributions of the study of religion and philosophy to our understanding of human nature and the world around us
- Differences between Eastern and Western philosophy and how they differ in their approaches to fundamental questions
- Role of religious and philosophical beliefs in shaping the arts, literature, and culture throughout history
- Impact of Globalization on religious and philosophical beliefs and practices
- How religious and philosophical beliefs have influenced social movements and activism throughout history
- Contributions of religious and philosophical beliefs to the search for meaning and purpose in life
Culture refers to a particular group of people’s customs, beliefs, values, and practices. It can encompass various topics, from food and fashion to art and music, making it a fascinating subject for expository writing. Here are great expository essay ideas for writing about culture:
- Role of culture in shaping individual identity and sense of belonging
- Impact of globalization on culture and cultural identity
- What is the importance of food in different cultures, and how does it shape cultural identity?
- How cultural expressions such as music, dance, and art reflect societal values and beliefs
- Ways in which language shape culture and cultural identity
- Impact of technology on cultural practices and traditions
- How cultural stereotypes and prejudices affect individuals and society
- Significance of fashion in different cultures and how it reflects the cultural identity
- How cultural attitudes towards gender and sexuality vary around the world
- Ways in which literature reflects and influences cultural attitudes and beliefs
- What is the role of cultural exchange and collaboration in promoting understanding and tolerance between different groups?
- How cultural practices surrounding death and mourning differ around the world
- How does colonialism and globalization impact the preservation and evolution of indigenous cultures?
- The impact of global tourism on local culture
- The effects of language barriers on cross-cultural communication
Psychology is the scientific study of human behavior and mental processes, encompassing various topics such as personality, emotion, cognition, and social behavior. Here are some topics for expository writing based on psychology:
- major theories of personality and how they explain individual differences
- How the brain process emotions and the key emotional responses
- Main theories of motivation and how they influence behavior
- How do cognitive processes such as memory, attention, and perception affect our daily lives?
- Major developmental milestones in human life and how they influence behavior
- Main theories of learning and how they shape behavior
- Key factors that influence interpersonal attraction and relationships
- How culture influences psychological processes and behaviors
- Major mental disorders and how are they treated
- Impact of stress or depression on physical and mental health and how it can be managed
- What is the psychology of addiction, and how can it be treated?
- How do individual differences in intelligence and creativity affect behavior and success?
- Key ethical considerations in psychological research and practice
- How technology has influenced psychological research and practice, and what its implications for the future
- Roles of psychology in promoting individual and social well-being
Get professional essay writing services today
Writing an expository essay can be an enriching and insightful experience that allows you to explore various interesting and thought-provoking topics. You only need to choose a relevant, unique, and researchable topic you are passionate about. Then create a compelling and informative essay that engages your audience and enhances their understanding of the subject.
Whether you are writing about history, science, literature, ethics, or any other topic, the key is to focus on presenting the facts and arguments clearly, concisely, and coherently. This allows you to contribute to a deeper and more informed discourse on the issues that matter most to you and society.
If you are struggling to come up with a great topic or need help writing your expository essay, consider using the services of a professional essay writing company like 911 Papers. Our expert essay writers can help you craft a high-quality, well-researched essay that meets all your requirements. Order now to start enjoying the best essay writing services today and take the first step towards achieving academic success.