1. Assume the following data were gathered by a manufacturer of a robotics component, in
units of days of continuous use until the component fails. There are 60 measurements in this data set. Show a histogram of this data set with 10 bins of equal size, spanning the range from the data minimum to the data maximum.
142, 147, 127, 161, 145, 137, 122, 123, 141, 139, 139
135, 135, 130, 147, 118, 154, 133, 136, 129, 139, 131
143, 130, 160, 127, 127, 145, 144, 155, 128, 124,144
133, 136, 133, 151, 131, 133, 119, 122, 139, 128, 121
142, 136, 148, 136, 121, 131, 125, 120, 123, 145, 140
150, 136, 135, 133, 134
2. A university has been tracking the percentage of alumni giving to its annual fund each year for the past 10 years. The data is given here.
14%, 13%, 15%, 21%, 19%, 24%, 25%, 28%, 25%. 31%
Answer the following questions about this data.
a. what are its mean and median?
b. What is the procedure for using mean and median to determine whether the data is skewed, and if so, in what direction?
c. Apply the procedure you described to the mean and median computed in part a.
3. Assume you have a data set from a normally distributed random variable. Answer the following questions about it.
a. Will the random variable be discrete, continuous, or neither? How do you know?
b. Will the data be qualitative or quantitative? How do you know?
4. A nurse is considering going back to graduate school to earn a Ph.D. in biochemistry. One of the schools she visits tells her that the average time to earn the degree she’s considering is 5.5 years. Show that this statement is not sufficiently precise by giving two different explanations of what it might mean.
5. Under which of the following conditions would it be appropriate to use a Binomial random variable? In each case, explain why your answer is correct.
a. A department will interview 10 candidates for a position, and call back for second interviews those who answer the interview questions to the satisfaction of all the interviewers. They hope to call back at least 3, but past experience suggests an average of about 1 call back per 4 interviews.
b. A factory posts on the wall the number of days since its last safety infraction of injury. In the past year, the factory has had a safety infraction or injury on 6 different days. The factory is interested in the number of days that can be expected to elapse without an injury.
c. Fifteen of a doctor’s patients have the same ailment. Studies have shown that about 86.5% of patients with this ailment respond to a certain drug. The doctor prescribes the drug to all 15, but the number who will respond in this case is, of course, not known in advance.
6. The mean time for a racecar driver’s crew to perform a pit stop is 13.2 seconds, with a standard deviation of 0.9 seconds. To maintain his current lead, the driver needs a pit stop in 12.5 seconds or less. Assuming this random variable is normally distributed, what is the probability of the driver getting the pit stop in a short enough time to maintain is lead?
7. From a sample of size 175, the sample mean is x bar=54.37 and sample standard deviation is s= 7.07.
a. Construct a 95% confidence interval for the population mean and show your work.
b. Explain how your work in part a would have been different if the sample size had been only 12 instead.
8. A random sample from the population of registered voters in California is to be taken and then surveyed about an upcoming election. What sample size should be used to guarantee a sampling error of 3% or less when estimating p at the 95%confidence level?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more