Text edition 7:
Chapter 12 – Questions and Problems – 5, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13.
Rubric Assignment 5:
Calculation Questions. Show your work – include formulas and step by step calculations.
5. Nominal versus Real Returns: What is the average annual return on Canadian stock from 1957 through 2008:
a. In nominal terms?
b. In real terms?
7. Calculating Returns and Variability: Using the following returns, calculate the arithmetic average returns, the variances and the standard deviations for X and Y.
Year X Y
1 6% 18%
2 24 39
3 13 -6
4 -14 -20
5 15 47
8. Risk Premiums: Refer to the table attached and look at the period from 1970-1975.
a. Calculate the arithmetic average returns for large-company stocks and T-Bills over this period.
b. Calculate the standard deviation of the returns for large-company stocks and T-Bills over this period.
c. Calculate the observed risk premium in each year for the large-company stocks versus T-Bills. What was the average risk premium over this period? What was the standard deviation of the risk premium over this period?
d. Is it possible for the risk premium to be negative before an investment is undertaken? Can the risk premium be negative after the fact?
9. Calculating Returns and Variability: You’ve observed the following returns on Crash-n-Burn Computer’s stock over the past 5 years: 2 percent, -8 percent, 24percent, 19 percent and 12 percent.
a. What was the arithmetic average return on Crash-n-Burn’s stock over this 5-year period?
12. Effects of Inflation: Look at table 12.1 (same table from Q8) and the attached figure (12.4), When were T-bill rates at their highest over the period of 1957 through 2008? Why do you think they were so high during this period? What relationship underlies your answer?
13. Calculating Investment Returns: You bought one of Great White Shark Repellant Co’s 7 percent coupon bonds one year ago for $920. These bonds make annual payments and mature in six years from now. Suppose you decide to sell your bonds today, when the required return on bonds is 8 percent. If the inflation rate was 4.2 percent over the past year, what was your total real return on investment?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more